Background - Curriculum Vitae
1999 Ph.D. University of Oklahoma, zoology. Dissertation: Community ecology of water-filled tree holes in Panama. Awarded dissertation of the year in College of Math and Science. Advisor: O. M. Fincke
1993 M.S. Purdue University, entomology. Thesis: A comparison of aquatic macroinvertebrate assemblages in lake-outlet and dendritic streams of the Huron Mountain region of Michigan. Advisor: W. P. McCafferty
1991 B.S. Auburn Univ., entomology, magna cum laude. Mentor: G. W. Folkerts
2007-pres. Assistant Professor. Dept. of Biology. Univ. of Arkansas at Little Rock.
2001-2007. Adjunct Assistant Professor. Univ. of Florida, Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, Vero Beach. Ecology of mosquito breeding sites in Peru and Florida.
2001-2007 Postdoctoral Fellow. Univ. of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX. Effects of deforestation on ecology of arbovirus vectors in the Peruvian Amazon.
1999-2001 Postdoctoral Research Associate. The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA. Effects of disturbance on canopy invertebrates in the cloud forests of Monteverde, Costa Rica.
1999 Postdoctoral Research Associate. Univ. of Oklahoma, Norman, OK. 1) Foraging preferences of canopy vs. litter ants in a Panamanian forest, 2) Effects of fertilization on litter ant communities in a Panamanian forest.
Fulbright Scholar Smithsonian Fellow
Phi Kappa Phi Sigma Xi
Tri-Beta Biology Honor Society Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society National Dean’s List
PUBLICATIONS (click here)
Graduate/Undergraduate Advisor (All teaching/advising was in Spanish.)
• Undergraduate students, Universidad Nacional de la Amazonia Peruana. 2002-2003.
1) Feeding habits of bats in three habitat types in the Peruvian Amazon. (S. R. Angulo Mori)
2) Deforestation and density of phytotelmata in the Peruvian Amazon (J. E. Ramírez Paredes)
• Graduate students, Universidad Nacional de la Amazonia Peruana. 2003-2004.
1) Vertical stratification of Sabethes and Haemagogus mosquitoes (E. Requena Zuñiga)
2) Effects of deforestation on mosquitoes in container habitats (J. E. Ramírez Paredes)
• La Selva REU program, Costa Rica. 2006, 2007
• Organization for Tropical Studies, Peru. 2003 (in Spanish)
• Univ. of California Education Abroad Program. 2000, 2001
• Organization for Tropical Studies, Costa Rica. 1997, 1998, 2000
• Tropical Ecology Field Course, Univ. of Panama. 1997, 1999 (in Spanish)
• Principles of Ecology. Univ. of Oklahoma. 1997.
• General Entomology. Univ. of Panama. 1997. (in Spanish)
• Natural History of Vertebrates. East Central Univ., Oklahoma. 1995.
• General Entomology Laboratory, Univ. of Panama. 1997. (in Spanish)
• Principles of Ecology Laboratory, Univ. of Oklahoma. 1996, 1997.
• Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy Laboratory, Univ. of Oklahoma. 1996.
• Introductory Zoology Laboratory, Univ. of Oklahoma. 1995.
• Aquatic Entomology Laboratory, Purdue Univ. 1992, 1993.
• Insect Taxonomy Laboratory, Purdue Univ. 1992.
• Invertebrate Zoology Laboratory, Auburn Univ. 1990.
UNIVERSITY AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
Co-moderator, Traditional Ecological Knowledge section, Ecol. Soc. Am. meeting, 2003
Co-coordinator & comoderator, tropical canopy ecology symposium, ATBC meeting, 2001
Ecological Society of America Bell/Braun student paper award judge
Research proposal reviews: NSF, National Geographic Society
Manuscript reviews for: Ecology, Biological Conservation, Biotropica, Great Lakes Entomologist,
Selbyana, Environmental Entomology, Ecological Entomology, Austral Ecology, New Zealand
Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, and the book Current directions in research on
RESEARCH-RELATED MASS MEDIA APPEARANCES
2001 Television, Costa Rica Channel 6, Repretel Productions, 26 May
2001 Television, Costa Rica Channel 2 feature, 28 March
2001 Newspaper, La Republica, Costa Rica, "Paraíso de investigación" 18 Feb, p. 1B
2000 Peoples’ Planet television series, CNN
2000 Grist Magazine, http://www.gristmagazine.com/grist/week/yanoviak082700.stm
1998 Am dach des regenwaldes, Austrian film about canopy research, Interspot Films
1997 Panama Wild, National Geographic/Oxford Scientific Films
|Page updated 06 June 2007||Home|